Synchronization panels are mainly designed and used to meet power system requirements. These panels provide manual as well as automatic synchronizing function for one or more generator breakers. They are widely used in synchronizing generators and offering multiplexing solutions.
Synchronizing panels usually consist of:
- A Generator Control Unit: This unit automatically matches generator frequency and voltage levels with that of the bus.
- A Syncrocloser Unit: It sends the closing command to the breaker at the exact moment of phase coincident.
- A Syncrocloser Check Relay: It performs the progressive function of verifying voltage and phase angle conditions and ensuring that they are within preset limits, before allowing the breaker to close.
The device is provided with control switches in the front panel. These switches are responsible for manual raising and lowering of speed and voltage of the generator to match the bus frequency and voltage before synchronizing. There are volt meters and digital meters in the device that offer generator and bus measurements.
Uses & Applications
There are various areas where synchronization panel finds application. Some of the popular application areas include:
- Engineering systems
- Multiplexing multiple generators
- Multimedia communications
- Data synchronization
- Electronic equipments